Developing my Whole Self

Developing my Whole Self
Sunset in Africa as captured by me

Saturday, September 3, 2011

You make me feel like a Natural Woman...

"Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something: they're trying to find someone who's going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take". ~ Anthony Robbins
Last night, I read this quote on my friend Elaine's Facebook Page. I clicked on "like", wrote a nice comment about how the world would be a better place if we approached ALL relationships this way, hit enter and continued my browsing with an enormous sense of satisfaction. 
This is exactly what I wrote:  
"Love this...what a wonderful world this would be if we approached all relationships this way!!"
 What hit me next could have floored any prize fighter. It is so incredibly huge for me that I created a new blog to properly honor its power...its ability to transform.
My life changed, my paradigm shifted and I knew in an instant that things would never be the same. I experienced what Oprah ingeniously named an "Aha Moment"! I searched for my friend Elaine's status update once more, reread the quote and my very wise, in my own opinion, comment. 
And then....
 This is exactly what I thought:

I have developed a very unhealthy RELATIONSHIP with food. What if I applied that quote to food? I continued in the relationship as it stands because I use (particularly unhealthy)food to make me feel good. Just what if I began to approach food with the attitude that I am here to give. But how do you give to food? What would that look like, feel like? How would my behavior change? 

Farmer's Market Veggies and Fruit ~ Beauty of home made Lunch


I, inspired by my great friend Freida, had already begun the change. I committed to decreasing my consumption of fast food by letting go of the excuse that I am an overly exhausted single mother basically living on the road. I committed to packing a colorful, balanced lunch daily by affirming the fact that my body requires vitamins and not just fullness. I committed to increasing my water intake after a terrible hormonal breakout on my face. I committed to regular exercise and now wake up earlier to squeeze in about 30 minutes before work.

I changed my mind and my behavior followed. So how do I maintain this change? By filtering my thoughts. How do I know that this time will be different? Because I am waking up each morning resolved to give.

I am not on a diet/exercise plan. I desire a wholesome and balanced lifestyle. Real food for a real woman. I am in therapy, my own self created therapy to heal this relationship. Through this blog, I will share my transformation.

May all of your relationships be healthy.

It is not enough to survive. May you live long and Thrive.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment